Plans show a building on this site from as early as 1852. This kauri building has a steeply pitched gable roof featuring scalloped bargeboards and turned finials. The original shingles have been replaced with corrugated iron.
When Duff Maxwell moved here from Taranaki in 1949 he set up his honey-packing business, "Eutoca" in the coach house. He opened up the ground floor into one room and put in electricity.
The original bakehouse was destroyed in the fire in 1877. A photograph taken by Rev. John Kinder, husband of Alfred and Charlotte Brown's daughter Celia, was taken of the original building under construction in 1862, with a group of mission school children gathered in front of it.
Baking took place away from the main house because of the danger of fire.
Duff Maxwell remembered the baker's oven in the building when he visited The Elms as a child in 1910. He was responsible for removing it when he partitioned the interior to provide an extra bathroom and separate laundry. The "footprint" of the baker's oven can be seen on the floor.
The Fencible Cottage
This cottage was built in Onehunga in the late 1840s for use by the Royal New Zealand Fencible Regiment. ‘Fencibles' were retired soldiers recruited in Britain and sent out to New Zealand as a defence force. They were not used for front-line fighting, but were expected to defend their homes and farms in the event of an attack by Maori.
The cottage was cut into sections in 1872 and shipped to Tauranga where it was re-erected on Third Avenue probably for use by the Armed Constabulary, who were involved in road building. It was presented to The Elms Family Home Preservation Trust Inc. by L.J. Dickson about 1972 for use as a meeting room.
The hand pump in the garden area in front of the bakehouse provided the water supply for the mission station until Tauranga Borough council reticulated water around the borough in the early twentieth century. The pump provides water from an underground cistern.
Domestic Services Range
A fire in 1877 destroyed the original buildings and threatened the mission house. Luckily the blaze was contained, and the house was unharmed. The mangle room, dairy and servants quarters were rebuilt slightly further away from the mission house. The two rooms at the eastern end of the block closest to the mission house have been used to house servants, as accommodation for relatives of the Maxwells and as rental accommodation. The bathroom constructed by Duff Maxwell between these rooms and the bakehouse has been removed to show the original layout. The first room is now used as an office for The Elms supervisor.
In the centre of this block is the Mangle or Laundry Room, obviously used by servants for the weekly wash. The last room is the dairy, where milk from the family cows was processed into cream and butter.
These buildings are of particular historical significance because they date from Archdeacon Brown's time at the mission station. They have recently been repiled, reroofed and repainted.